You’ve heard about new facial fillers such as Juvederm Volbella® or Restylane Refyne®. Your doctor or nurse injector has many fillers in their tool box. How do they know which ones to use? What fillers are the longest lasting and what should you know about each facial filler. When you’re planning on getting fillers for your lips, smile lines, temples or cheek area its important to be well informed.
The most common fillers are Hyaluronic acid, HA is a natural substance found in your body. These fillers are easily dissolved with Hyaluronidase if you are overfilled, have complications or don’t like the way it looks. However, it’s important your injector knows how to use this product, as too much can dissolve your natural tissue, this is not permanent.
I’ve tried all the Hyaluronic acid fillers on the market today. I’ve been injected by the most skilled plastic surgeons, dermatologists and nurse injectors. I still experience swelling, bruising and have had fillers dissolved. Recently, I tried newer fillers like Juvederm Vollure ®, Juvederm Volbella® as well as Restylane Refyne® and Restylane Defyne®. My body breaks down fillers rapidly, therefore some fillers have a shorter duration. Due to different technologies and your body’s chemistry some fillers may cause more swelling and bruising than other fillers. Expect swelling and bruising especially with lip and under the eye fillers.
You may also experience some fillers lasting longer than others. The manufacturer’s statement regarding the filler’s longevity is based on their research and does not always apply to everyone. There are many factors that contribute to how you will react to facial fillers. Discuss this issues with your injector and manage your expectations.
Here is the list of the most common HA fillers and what you should know about each one.
- Juvederm® has been around for a long time and is basic HA filler for many areas of the face. It’s available in different thicknesses. Some practices prefer only using Juvederm® as its predictable and they’ve been using it for many years. Juvederm® last around 6 months.
- Juvederm Voluma ® is the thickest, strongest gel- best for replacing volume in the cheek, temple and along the jaw line. Volumna is designed to your face a nice natural lift. Volumna lasts between 12-24 months, but plan for a touch up. This product is injected deeper therefore it is a little more difficult to dissolve.
- Juvederm Volbella® is new and contains the thinnest, most spreadable gel. Its good for filling fine lip lines or even smooth the delicate area under the eyes.
- Juvederm Vollure® is also new and combines a “happy medium” of durability and spreadability to treat smile lines while allowing for natural facial expressions and movements.
Both Vobella and Vollure claim to last up to 18 months. I’ve tried both products and the verdict is still out. I’m guessing they will last closer to 9-12 months.
Voluma, Vobella and Vollure is designed with newer Vycross technology. Because these are newer fillers, there is not as much patient history of adverse effects or complications. * Update on Vobella and Volume- there have been some cases of late onset infections and problems. These are two types of fillers especially to not get after any dental work. Ask you injector about any adverse reactions they have see.
- Restylane®has also been around for many years and used frequently in conjunction with other fillers. Resytlane is used for lines around the mouth, lips and eye hollows. Average duration 6-9 months. Longer in the eye hollows.
- Restylane Silk ®is used as a lip plumper and to fill in smoker lines about and around the lips. It’s a thinner consistency. I love the way it makes your lips feel, however I found it lasting less than 6 months.
- Restylane Lift® is similar to Volumna used for lifting the cheek area and other areas of the face that need more structure. Though the manufactures claims it lasts as long as Volumna, it’s been my experience that it does not.
- Restylane Refyne® is designed with to help soften laugh lines (nasolabial folds and marionette lines) and around the mouth.
- Restylane Defyne® helps smooth out deep laugh lines (nasolabial folds and marionette lines).
Both Refyne and Defyne should last around 9 months. They use a newer cross-linked technology- XpresHAn Technology™ . Both give a natural look and are designed for areas of the face where there is more movement.
Any filler can cause adverse reactions and complications, even the best Board Certified Dermatologist, Plastic Surgeon or nurse injector has experienced filler complications. If you are immune compromised you may be more susceptible to complications. Dental work can also cause adverse reactions before or after some fillers. Always be truthful about your health and discuss these issues with your injector. Ask questions if you are unsure. Most importantly, choose an experienced injector. Not all injectors are equally skilled or trained. As we approach the holidays do your homework before buying filler specials from medical practices you do not know. Stay away from Groupons and Daly Deals.